It's important to descale your coffee maker to ensure optimum taste and performance.
Signs that it's time to descale:
- Longer brewing times
- Excessive steam
- Loud "gurgling" sounds during brewing
- Water remaining in the tank after the brewing process is complete.
NOTE: KitchenAid recommends Affresh coffee maker cleaning tablets, which are available in retail stores.
Benefit: Affresh allows you to descale your coffee maker without the traditional odor of vinegar and water.
- If you have a coffee maker with a grid that makes it difficult to put the entire Affresh tablet into the water reservoir, you can crush the tablet into smaller pieces in a plastic sandwich bag, and pour the powder into the water reservoir.
Steps for descaling:
1. Before descaling, always remove the water filter and make sure the brew basket contains no coffee or coffee filters.
2. Run the Coffee Maker through a complete brewing cycle using a full carafe of the descaling solution.
3. If the cleaning needed indicator lights after the brewing cycle is complete, repeat Step 2 until the cleaning needed indicator no longer lights after brewing.
4. Rinse the Coffee Maker by running it through two brewing cycles using a full carafe of fresh, cool water each time.
5. Wash the brew basket and carafe in hot, soapy water and rinse with hot water.
6. Reinstall or replace the water filter.