It's important to descale your coffee maker to ensure optimum taste and performance.
Signs that it's time to descale:
- Longer brewing times
- Excessive steam
- Loud "gurgling" sounds during brewing
- Water remaining in the tank after the brewing process is complete.
NOTE: KitchenAid recommends affresh® coffee maker cleaning tablets, which are available in retail stores, or click here to order.
Benefit: affresh® allows you to descale your coffee maker without the traditional odor of vinegar and water.
- If you have a coffee maker with a grid that makes it difficult to put the entire affresh® tablet into the water reservoir, you can crush the tablet into smaller pieces in a plastic sandwich bag, and pour the powder into the water reservoir.
- Before descaling, always remove the water filter and make sure the brew basket contains no coffee or coffee filters.
- Run the Coffee Maker through a complete brewing cycle using a full carafe of the descaling solution.
- If the cleaning needed indicator lights after the brewing cycle is complete, repeat Step 2 until the cleaning needed indicator no longer lights after brewing.
- Rinse the Coffee Maker by running it through two brewing cycles using a full carafe of fresh, cool water each time.
- Wash the brew basket and carafe in hot, soapy water and rinse with hot water.
- Reinstall or replace the water filter.