Many variables can impact toaster performance.
- Breads can vary greatly in moisture and sugar content.
- Different types of bread toast differently due to size, density, moisture and sugar content.
- A high sugar content bread browns more quickly.
- Even using the same type of bread every day can result in different shades of toast.
- This is because the end of the loaf is drier than the middle.
- If you have a two or four slot toaster, and are only using one side, the results will be different than if you had used both sides.
- It is also important to empty the crumb tray regularly as this can also affect toast shade.