Is there a new plastic smell?
This is a normal smell and should dissipate with time (about 2 weeks). Try running a white vinegar rinse or using affresh® to help remove the odor.
Run a white vinegar rinse to reduce odor:
- Wash and rinse dishes. Do not use a heated dry option. Use an air-dry or an energy-saving dry option. Remove all silverware or metal items.
- Put 2 cups (500 mL) of white vinegar in a glass or dishwasher-safe measuring cup on the bottom rack.
- Run the dishwasher through a complete washing cycle using an air-dry or an energy-saving dry option. Do not use detergent. The vinegar will mix with the wash water.
- Run the dishwasher through a normal cycle with detergent after cleaning the interior.
Are dishes washed only every two or three days?
Run a rinse cycle once or twice a day until you have a full load.
Is there a petroleum smell?
This is a normal smell. Some models have sound-deadening material that smells like petroleum. This is normal and should dissipate in 4-6 weeks.
Is there a varnish smell?
This is a typical motor smell. Some motor windings are treated with a varnish. This smell will wear off in approximately one month.
Is there a burnt plastic smell?
Possible cause: Plastic parts that have fallen onto the heating element during a cycle.
- Solution: Remove plastic parts from heater after it has cooled. After a few cycles, the excess plastic will burn off.
Possible cause: Washing plastics that are not dishwasher safe.
- Solution: Wash only dishwasher safe plastics in the dishwasher.
Is there a musty, spoiled smell?
Standing water in the dishwasher can cause this smell. See also My dishwasher is not draining.
affresh® cleaners are available at many retailers. Find one here.