Was the door just opened?
When the door is opened cold air flows out, of the refrigerator, and warm humid air flows in. When the door is closed, the warm air mixing with the cold air creates a vacuum, causing the doors to be harder to re-open. Allow the internal pressure to equalize before re-opening the door, this should take less than a 1 minute. This is part of normal operation and is more likely to occur during the warmer humid times of the year.
Are the gaskets dirty?
The gaskets need to be cleaned in order for the lid or door to open and close properly. Dirt and other particles can build up on the gasket surface and can cause resistance. Check the lid gasket regularly to ensure it is clean and free from food particles.
How to Clean the Gaskets
- Wash the gaskets with a clean sponge or soft cloth and mild detergent, in warm water.
- Rinse well and wipe dry with a clean, soft cloth
- Rub a thin coat of paraffin wax on the gasket following cleaning
Is the refrigerator level?
It is important to ensure the refrigerator is level to allow the door to open and close properly. A properly leveled refrigerator will also help with overall proper operation. Please refer to your Use and Care Guide or Installation Instructions for specific leveling information for your refrigerator.
In addition to your Use and Care Guide and Installation Instructions, here are some other tips for leveling the refrigerator:
- Use a level to make sure the refrigerator is level from side to side and front to back.
- Check to make sure the floor under the refrigerator is also level. If the floor is not level shims may need to be used.
CLICK HERE to watch a video on how to level the refrigerator - French Door
CLICK HERE to watch a video on hot to adjust the doors - Side by Side Refrigerators
Still need help? Call or schedule service.
You may need assistance from a qualified technician. Call 1-800-422-1230 or click below to schedule an appointment.