How to Clean the Coffee Maker?
KitchenAid® recommends affresh® coffee maker cleaning tablets. affresh® allows you to descale your coffee maker without the traditional odor of vinegar and water. If you have a coffee maker with a grid that makes it difficult to put the entire affresh® tablet into the water reservoir, you can crush the tablet into smaller pieces in a plastic sandwich bag, and pour the powder into the water reservoir.
affresh® cleaners are available at many retailers. Find one here.
A commercial descaling agent or vinegar can be used to descale the unit. When using a descaling agent follow the directions on the package for the recommended amounts of descaling agent and water to use. When using vinegar, fill the carafe with a solution consisting of half vinegar and half water.
Steps for descaling:
- Before descaling, always remove the water filter and make sure the brew basket contains no coffee or coffee filters.
- Run the Coffee Maker through a complete brewing cycle using a full carafe of the descaling solution.
- If the cleaning needed indicator lights after the brewing cycle is complete, repeat Step 2 until the cleaning needed indicator no longer lights after brewing.
- Rinse the Coffee Maker by running it through two brewing cycles using a full carafe of fresh, cool water each time.
- Wash the brew basket and carafe in hot, soapy water and rinse with hot water.
- Reinstall or replace the water filter.