When Should the Coffee Maker be Cleaned?
It's important to descale your coffee maker to ensure optimum taste and performance. The Coffee Maker should be descaled as soon as possible after the Cleaning Needed Indicator light illuminates. You should also clean and descale your coffee maker if you experience any of the following concerns:
- Longer brewing times
- Excessive steam
- Loud "gurgling" sounds during brewing
- Water remaining in the tank after the brewing process is complete.
How to Clean the Coffee Maker?
KitchenAid® recommends affresh® coffee maker cleaning tablets. affresh® allows you to descale your coffee maker without the traditional odor of vinegar and water. If you have a coffee maker with a grid that makes it difficult to put the entire affresh® tablet into the water reservoir, you can crush the tablet into smaller pieces in a plastic sandwich bag, and pour the powder into the water reservoir.
affresh® cleaners are available at many retailers. Find one here.
A commercial descaling agent or vinegar can be used to descale the unit. When using a descaling agent follow the directions on the package for the recommended amounts of descaling agent and water to use. When using vinegar, fill the carafe with a solution consisting of half vinegar and half water.
Steps for descaling:
- Before descaling, always remove the water filter and make sure the brew basket contains no coffee or coffee filters.
- Run the Coffee Maker through a complete brewing cycle using a full carafe of the descaling solution.
- If the cleaning needed indicator lights after the brewing cycle is complete, repeat Step 2 until the cleaning needed indicator no longer lights after brewing.
- Rinse the Coffee Maker by running it through two brewing cycles using a full carafe of fresh, cool water each time.
- Wash the brew basket and carafe in hot, soapy water and rinse with hot water.
- Reinstall or replace the water filter.
Still need help? Contact us or schedule service.
Please contact us or click below to make an appointment from our preferred list of service providers for service on your appliances.