KitchenAid Hand Mixer Tips
Hand mixers do not actually mash potatoes, but instead whip them.
There are several reasons why mashed potatoes have lumps:
- Potatoes may not be completely cooked.
- Potatoes vary greatly and there can be tough spots in them.
- Different types of potatoes will yield different results.
- Try cooking the potatoes longer and/or smashing the tough spots with a fork.
- Put the beaters into the freezer for 10 minutes before whipping.
- 9 - Speed Hand Mixers have a professional whisk that may help, or you may purchase the whip for any other model.
Whipping Egg Whites
There are many factors that could cause egg whites not to whip.
- Room temperature new eggs will whip up better than cold, old eggs.
- Make sure that there is no oily residue in the bowl or egg yolk in with the egg whites. Egg yolks are high in fat and will hinder the whipping process.
- If the consumer has tried all of these things, you can suggest using the wire whisk that can be purchased as an accessory for the Hand Mixers.
Eggs are not being beaten, but continue to slip through the open spaces in the beaters.
- In most cases this means the eggs are too cold.
- Warming the eggs to room temperature prior to use will resolve this problem.
- If you wish to use cold eggs, simply stop the mixer, place the beater directly on the egg yolks and restart the mixer.
Some model hand mixers come with dough hooks. If your model did not come with them, they can be purchased separately.
If kneading bread, you should use the dough hooks only - never the regular beaters.
There is no maximum amount of flour with regard to making cookies, cakes, etc., in a household setting, since there is not a bowl constraint, meaning that you move the mixer around the bowl. It is not intended for commercial use.
It is recommended, however, that if making bread, that you do not make more than single batches, which usually take about 3-1/2 cups of flour.
Refer to your use and care guide for the proper speed for making bread, which can vary depending upon how many speeds your mixer model has.
It is not recommended to knead for more than six minutes in a hand mixer.