Different features of KitchenAid Stand Mixers
KitchenAid® makes stand mixers in two styles, a myriad of colors, and sizes ranging from 3.5 to 8-quart capacities in various price ranges.
With so many to choose from, how do you determine which one is right for you?
Things to consider:
- All KitchenAid® stand mixers utilize the same unique planetary action, regardless of mixer size.
- All models have sufficient power to accommodate the bowl capacity.
The Two Types of Stand Mixers:
The head of the mixer tilts back from the base, and the bowl is attached to the base.
Capacity: 3.4, 4.5 and 5 quarts
- The tilt-head style makes it easy to access the beaters. Simply tilt the head back and remove them. The head locks into place when mixing.
- This type of mixer is also slightly shorter, so it is a consideration if you have low hanging upper kitchen cabinets. (2.5"-3" shorter)
Comparison of our two most popular tilt head models:
- 4.5-quart capacity
- White only
- No handle on the bowl
- No pouring shield
This 5-quart model is our most popular mixer for many reasons:
- Our largest tilt head mixer (5 quarts)
- The array of colors - the most of any model
- Pouring shield
- Ergonomic handle on the bowl
- Often comes with a rebate - either cash back or a free attachment
The bowl sits on the "arms" of the mixer and is raised with a lever. The head of the mixer is stationary.
Capacity: 4.5-8 quarts
- Large Capacity
- Spiral Knead dough hook on select models
- Professional look
- Many models to choose from
The Artisan Mini:
If space and weight are significant considerations, the Artisan Mini is shorter, lighter and has a smaller footprint, but has the same mixing action and robust motor.
- Mini Mixer. Powerful Performance.
- The Artisan® Mini tilt-head stand mixer makes up to 5 dozen cookies in a single batch, with the same power as the full-size KitchenAid® tilt-head Stand Mixers while being 20% smaller, 25% lighter*.
- *KitchenAid® Artisan® Mini compared to the full-size KitchenAid® tilt-head Stand Mixers.
- Weight: 18 lbs.
- Depth: 12.3 "
- Height: 12.3
- Width: 7.8
Part of choosing a mixer is a personal preference.
- Some prefer tilting the head back to access the beater easily.
- Some choose bowl lift mixers because they prefer the professional look.
- Some find it more difficult to remove the bowl and beaters on a bowl lift mixer, mainly if they have been accustomed to a tilt head, while others have no issue.
- It sometimes helps to go to a store and assemble the bowl and the beaters to see which "feels" best to you.
Do you need a large capacity mixer?
- Do you regularly make double or triple batches?
- Do you have a large family?
- Do you make a lot of bread?
- You can make bread in any size stand mixer, but if you make large quantities, you may prefer a model with a spiral knead dough hook, which comes with select models of bowl lift stand mixers.
- If so, you may prefer a bowl lift mixer, which comes in capacities of 4.5 to 8 quarts.
Is color a consideration?
- KitchenAid® makes over 50 colors and finishes.
- Not all models come in all colors.
- The Artisan model has the most color and finishes options.
Tilt head mixers are slightly shorter (3") than bowl lift mixers, which can make a difference if you have low hanging upper kitchen cabinets.
Tilt-Head Height: 14.0"
Bowl-Lift Height: varies from 16 7/16" to 17."
Do you like to put your beaters in the dishwasher?
- Some models come with white-coated beaters, which can go in the dishwasher.
- Other models come with burnished aluminum beaters, which must be hand washed and dried immediately.
- KitchenAid® sells replacement beaters in both finishes for all mixers.
Do you prefer a handle on your bowl?
KitchenAid makes bowls in Glass, ceramic and stainless in various sizes with several handle options:
- Some models come with a bowl with no handle.
- Others have a flat "strap" handle.
- Others have a comfortable, ergonomic handle.
What type of bowl do you prefer?
- Clear Glass with measurement markings.
- Available for all tilt head and select bowl-lift models.
- Frosted Glass - tilt head only
- Hammered Glass - tilt head only
Ceramic - decorative colors - tilt head only
Stainless Steel - from 3 quarts to 8-quart capacities available.
- Available for both bowl lift and tilt head models.
NOTE: It's nice to have an extra bowl when doing holiday baking, or to have a spare when one is in the dishwasher.
- Some models come with pouring shields, to aid in adding ingredients, and prevent splashing.
- KitchenAid® sells pouring shields for almost every model, except for the glass bowl models.