Caring for different types of beaters
KitchenAid® makes flat beaters, dough hooks and wire whisks in a variety of materials. It is important to identify the type that comes with your mixer and follow the cleaning instructions in your use and care guide for each type.
Some stand mixers come with dishwasher safe beaters, and others do not.
- Replacement beaters are available for all models in several colors and material types, depending upon your preference.
Non-Dishwasher Safe Beaters
Many people prefer the professional "look" of a burnished beater.
- Burnished beaters are polished aluminum and are not dishwasher safe. They must be washed and dried immediately to prevent oxidization.
- If a burnished beater is put into the dishwasher, or allowed to soak in the sink, it can oxidize.
This thin layer of oxidization is not harmful and can be removed. CLICK HERE for more information on oxidization and how to remove it.
NOTE: In 2018, KitchenAid® transitioned to all dishwasher safe beaters for easier cleanup. If you prefer the silver look of burnished aluminum, we offer a "subtle silver" beater, which is dishwasher safe.
Dishwasher Safe Beaters
Some people prefer to put their beaters in the dishwasher.
KitchenAid® offers several color and material type options that are dishwasher safe.
- Many models come with white polyester coated beaters, which can be washed in the dishwasher.
- Subtle silver polyester coated beaters were introduced in 2018.
Coated beaters are burnished aluminum which is powder coated in either white or subtle silver.
Subtle silver polyester coated beaters were introduced in 2018.
To prevent chipping
In order to prevent chipping the white or subtle silver polyester coating, it is important that you check the clearance between your beater and your bowl regularly. For information on how to do this, CLICK HERE.
Stainless beaters are available for all tilt head mixers, and come standard on commercial models.
They are sold separately or in a pack of three, which includes a dough hook, flat beater and wire whip.
Fits all Tilt Head Models (with the exception of the Artisan Mini and the KN15E1X (Accolade)
3-Pack of Stainless Mixing Tools
KSM5THFBSS - Flat Beater
KSM5THDHSS - Dough Hook
KSM5THWWSS - Wire Whip
Features and benefits:
- 100% Stainless Steel
- Dishwasher Safe
- Long Lasting, Durable Material
Most wire whips are stainless with a burnished aluminum hub, (the area where the tines are inserted) and therefore are not dishwasher safe.
Select models come with all stainless whips, including the 11 - wire elliptical shaped models.