Filming or Etching on Glassware
What to Do about Filming or Etching on Glassware
Is there a white film or residue on your dishes that does not come off?
This may be due to phosphate-free detergents. Laws passed in 2010 limiting the amount of phosphates in household dishwasher detergents. Major manufacturers have reformulated their dishwasher detergents for the entire United States.
This Eco-friendly change in detergents may cause white film on your dishes, glassware, plastic items, utensils, even the dishwasher tub.
Is your water hard or is there a high mineral content in your water?
Use liquid rinse aid. This will help to eliminate spotting and filming. Keep the rinse aid dispenser filled.
Was the correct amount of detergent used (if using powder or gel detergent)?
- Use fresh dishwasher detergents only.
- Never use less than 1 tablespoon per load.
- Heavy soil and/or hard water generally require extra detergent.
- Store detergent in a cool, dry area.
- If using detergent pacs or pods, use only 1 pac per load. Follow manufacturers instructions for pac use.
Is the home water pressure not high enough for proper filling?
Home water pressure should be 20-120 psi. To determine if you have adequate water pressure:
- Fully open the faucet nearest the dishwasher.
- Place a 1-quart container under the faucet.
- If the container takes longer than 9 seconds to fill, the water pressure is low and a booster pump may be needed. Contact a plumber for booster pump information.