How to fill your dishwasher water softener on select KitchenAid® dishwasher models: KUDS30SX and KUDE60SX
- Use only water softener salt specially formulated for dishwashers. Other salts may contain insoluble additives which can damage the water softener.
- Unintentional use of dishwasher detergents or any other types of chemicals when filling the salt container can damage the water softener system.
- The salt container lid must be firmly secured after filling or refilling the salt container
Soft Spring™ dishwasher salt, part number W10320829.
This accessory is available for purchase. Locate the accessories page in the menu above.
Filling the salt container
- Remove the lower rack from the dishwasher and unscrew the lid to the salt container, located in the front left corner of the tub bottom.
- Add Water. IMPORTANT: BEFORE ADDING SALT FOR THE FIRST TIME, the salt container must be filled with water to the top of the opening (approximately 1 qt [0.9L]. Water does not have to be added with subsquent refills.
- Insert the funnel (provided) into the salt container. Slowly fill the container with dishwasher water softener salt. The salt container holds appoximately 4½ cups (1.0 kg) of salt. As it is being filled some water will run out.
- Stop filling the salt container when you no longer see that salt is flowing out of the funnel bottom. NOTE: You can spoon the salt out of the bag and into the salt container when it is close to being full to keep any salt from spilling out into the dishwasher.
- Clean any excess salt from the threads of the salt container opening.
- Screw the salt container lid on firmly
- If the dishwasher will not be used immediately, be sure to wipe out any excess salt that might have been spilled.
When do I refill the salt container?
The dishwasher provides 2 ways to indicate when it is time to refill the salt container.
- The center of the salt container lid will turn from green to clear.
- An "Add Salt" electronic message will appear on the dishwasher front display after wash cycle has been completed, and it will stay on until the salt container has been refilled.
A typical refill schedule is about once every 6 to 8 weeks if using the factory default dishwasher water hardness setting of 3, but can vary based on your dishwasher usage and cycle selections.
If you would like to download or view product literature for your appliance, please visit our Manuals and Literature page.