Getting the Best Results when Using a Dishwasher
Getting the Best Results when Using a KitchenAid Dishwasher
For best dishwashing results, water should be 120°F as it enters the dishwasher. Hot water dissolves and activates the dishwashing detergent. Hot water also dissolves grease on dishes and helps glasses dry spot-free.
If the water temperature is too low, loads may not wash well. If the water temperature is too hot, some soils become harder to remove and certain detergent ingredients do not function.
If your water heater is located far from the dishwasher, it may be necessary to run the hot water at the faucet closest to the dishwasher to minimize the amount of cold water in the water line.
- To save water, energy and time, do not rinse dishes before putting them into the dishwasher.
- Use a low-energy, quick or short cycle whenever possible. These cycles use less hot water and energy than a normal cycle.
- Choose the cycle that describes the most difficult soil in your dish load.
- Do not worry about mixed loads. Any item that is dishwasher safe can be washed using any cycle.
- Use a delay feature (available on some models) to run your dishwasher during off-peak hours. Local utilities recommend avoiding heavy usage of energy at certain times of day.
- During the summer, run your dishwasher at night. This reduces daytime heat buildup in the kitchen.
- Use the energy-saving dry option whenever possible by deselecting the Heat Dry option. Allow longer drying times (overnight) when using these options. Use rinse aid to improve drying.
- Use cycles or options that add extra heat to the wash or rinse portion of the cycle only when needed.
- Run your dishwasher with full loads. Run a rinse cycle after meals until the dishwasher is full.
- If your home is equipped with a water softener, avoid starting the dishwasher when the water softener is in the regeneration cycle because it may result in poor wash performance.
- Clean your dishwasher with affresh® Dishwasher Cleaner every 30 days to keep your dishwasher fresh and clean
affresh® cleaners are available at many retailers. Find one here.
If you would like to download or view product literature for your appliance, please visit our Manuals and Literature page.