Operating Your KitchenAid Batch-Feed Disposer:
Generally batch-feed disposer is activated by the stopper. All batch-feed stoppers have two purposes:
- Sealing the disposer opening so the sink can be filled with water
- Turning the disposer on and off
Sealing the Disposer:
To seal the disposer opening so you can fill the sink with water:
- Invert the stopper to the drain stopper position
- Place the stopper in the sink opening
- Press down while turning the stopper counterclockwise to secure
If your disposer is powered through a wall switch, you have a continuous-feed disposer. Please see Operating your continuous-feed waste disposer, for proper operating instructions.
Batch-feed disposer operating instructions:
- Remove the stopper and scrape food waste into the disposer grind chamber. Do not pack the grinding chamber with food waste.
- Turn on a moderate-to-strong flow of cold water. It is absolutely necessary that cold water flows into the disposer while in operation.
NOTE: Cold water hardens greasy substances, which makes it easy to grind them into tiny particles. Cold water also keeps grease from sticking to the drain lines. If you have a double sink, make sure the faucet is positioned to the side where the disposer is installed during operation of the disposer.
- Place the stopper, in disposer position, back into the sink opening. Turn the stopper to the left or right until the disposer starts.
- Allow both the disposer and cold water to run after the grinding is completed to help flush the drain pipes.
- Turn handle to the right or left to stop the disposer, and turn off the water.